Demand better for our NHS!
Our NHS and social care services are in a state of crisis. The Conservatives have left them chronically under-funded, while need continues to grow and patient care suffers.
In Weston our Accident and Emergency department has already been closed overnight, a change that may become permanant, which would put local people's lives at risk.
All over Britain people are routinely left stranded in hospital after they finish their treatment because the follow up care and support they need is not available. Nearly two-thirds of NHS Trusts ended the last financial year in deficit, and the future of these vital services remains uncertain.
Brexit is also set to have a disasterous impact on our NHS. The EU workers that provide the backbone of our health and social care system, have seen their right to work in the UK threatened. Furthermore, week after week we are seeing more taxpayers money and more government time being swallowed up by the Brexit process, which is all money and time that could have been used to improve our health services.
Yet Labour and Conservative politicians refuse to be honest with the public about the impact Brexit will have on our NHS, or the scale of the crisis that these vital services are already dealing with.
We recognise that Britain's health and social care services are our most treasured national institutions. Any party seeking to lead the country should be prepared to take bold action to safeguard them.
The Liberal Democrats will:
- An immediate 1p rise on Income Tax to raise £6 billion additional revenue which would be ringfenced to be spent only on the NHS
- End the public sector pay freeze for NHS workers
- Move to make mental health care on par with that of physical health
- Enforce new waiting time standards and better crisis care in Accident and Emergency, to ensure that no one in crisis is turned away.
- Publish a National Wellbeing Strategy, which puts better health and wellbeing for all at the heart of government policy.
And of course here in Weston-super-Mare, the Lib Dems believe that as a growing town, we absolutely need a 24 hour A&E!
A Liberal Democrat MP will fight to keep our hospital open 24/7, and for increased funding for our local hospital, GP and social care services.
Do you agree? If so, join our campaign!