Demand better for our environment!
The world is facing a climate emergency; unless urgent action is taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, the worst impacts of climate breakdown will follow, including severe damage to economies, societies and our natural environment.
The Conservatives haven't taken this problem seriously. We have no time to lose: this is an urgent crisis that demands real action now.
The Liberal Democrats however recognise that in the UK and elsewhere the worst impacts will be felt by the poorest people and the poorest communities. Therefore we must
reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases to net zero as fast as possible.
However we also recognise that setting a target date for net zero emissions is essential but by itself is not enough; early credible action is more critical, and the precise target date for achieving net zero is less important than than urgent action to set the economy on the path towards it.
In Weston and the villages we believe that our green scapes should be protected, in particular the historic and scientifically important Mendip Hills, and that every effort should be undertaken to reduce air pollution in the town and it's surrounding areas.
We condemn the Conservative government for failing to take action even to meet the UK's previous less ambitious target, and for pursuing measures, such as fracking and airport expansion, which will increase emissions and threaten our natural landscapes.
By contrast, the Liberal Democrats will:
1. More than double renewable energy generation to 80% by 2030, and invest further in cutting-edge technologies such as smart grid, hydrogen, off-shore wind, and tidal power.
2. Establish a Green Investment Bank to steer private investment into these sectors, and provide funding for 30 million properties to receive insulation retrofits.
3. Pass a Clean Air Act, based on World Health Organisation guidelines, enshrining the legal right to unpolluted air wherever people live.
4. Significantly increase the amount of accessible green space, and create new National Nature Parks to protect up to a million acres of accessible green space valued by local communities.
5. Completely ban "fracking" because of its adverse impact on climate change and the local environment.
We must act now to guarantee our children a greener, more sustainable and positive way of life.
Do you agree? If so, join our campaign!